Thursday, September 11, 2008

W.O.F. 29 a tad early

I guess it's a W.O.Th. but it cannot be helped, as I will be home tomorrow just long enough to walk the dog, then take off for our WEEKEND GETAWAY - yes, a weekend that will be Internet-free 'til Sunday evening - so I may be tardy in responding to other WOFs, for which I apologize.

So, with some trepidation, I introduce this week's W.O. from this corner - the RAIN STICK. These things allegedly originate from Chile, but you find them in touristy places all over the American Southwest (where they evidently do little good, as much of that territory is arid desert.)
Anyhow, these rain sticks are alleged to cause it to rain when they are shaken or just turned over. This one is a cactus rainstick, where they stick the cactus needles inside (it's hollow), so when you flip the thing over and hold it upright or at a 45 degree angle, the sound of the needles sliding and falling down inside the stick is a fair approximation of the sound of rain.

I introduced this with trepidation since, as we are going to be near a beach and my wife really wants to enjoy said beach, we would prefer that it NOT rain until, say, Sunday night. But the forecast is not too accommodating, with rain probability in the 40-70% range most of the weekend. I say, rain away all night, clear up in the morning, go at it again the next night.

Have a happy WOF-Day and a great weekend!

6 comments:

Jen said...

You are not to blame, the rain was in the forecast..but leave that thing at home and have a good weekend...take some board games. :)

Anonymous said...

It must be working because it has been raining all day!

Minerva said...

Apparently it works long distance, too.

Unknown said...

Gee thanks a lot Ben, we sure got a 100% rain today. Way to go... (Grin)

Jessica said...

I think you must have waved that stick over Michigan this weekend. In the last 24 hours we've gotten 6 inches of rain and we are about to float away. You can stop waving that stick any time now!

Ben said...

Trust me - I put the stick away as soon as I took the picture.