Saturday, August 23, 2008

Signs of the End...

...of summer. Not some apocalyptic vision or anything. Just some things that happen around here that signal that the times they are a-changin' (in spite of 90-plus degree days) and summer's days are numbered.

First, out pop the daily morning glories. They don't show up 'til late in the game. I equate them with the onset of cooler weather.
Second, peaches. We have a friend who has had a bountiful harvest of the fruit and he's been foisting it off on any who express enthusiasm for them. I say "foist away", although it is not that easy to keep up with them - the trick is to eat or freeze them fast enough that they don't end up as compost.
Third, these guys and their cousins the locusts take over the noisemaking.
The noise of young humans is abated as large yellow vehicles take them away to big brick buildings for much of the day. That leaves these guys to practice their art of noisemaking. Humans now seem to reserve much of their noise for Friday or Saturday nights, where they gather in stadiums to watch adolescent humans battle to take a pointy ball toward some H-shaped poles stuck in the ground.

..yet, for others among us, the dog days of summer continue unabated...

4 comments:

Jen said...

Oh this is great post, but sad. I hate the end of summer, but I like fall.
I love peaches and my peach tree grower friend passed away. :( They are always rotten at Krogers.
AND IS THAT YOUR DOG?
I have to tell you about a dog we had just like that and scan a picture of him for you one of these day....his name was Mr. Punther.
I think that's all I have to say...Oh yeah was that an apple masher or not? :)

Ben said...

That's our dog, a 13 year old springer spaniel/mutt. Still demands a walk around the block every night.
And as for the Weird Object, I'll have to go back to the fair next year to find out what it was! (I was a bad WOF presenter since I didn't know what the thing was myself).

Minerva said...

At least you don't have to drive 2 hours and pick those peaches, like we used to do as kids, eh?

Ben said...

Yep, that was a sad time picking those peaches back then, knowing school was right around the corner. We'd go over to the Eastern Shore, where fun abounds, and all we'd do this time was pick peaches and return home.