Thursday, June 5, 2008

Going Macro

No, I don't mean some odd macrobiotic diet. And I'm not dusting off my macroeconomics textbooks from college. I just mean I figured out how to get the camera to take those "supermacro" shots where you are just about touching the subject matter.

The peonies are blooming full tilt, so here are a couple shots of them, the first with ant. I was reading up on the whole "ant and peony" thing and, near as I can tell, the ants love the nectar they get from the peonies, but in fact, the peonies really don't need the ants to accomplish their goal of blooming.
Anyhow, once I had that macro thing working, I took advantage of the other flowers out there in full bloom - a couple roses, an iris, and our wegeilia out back. (Did you know wigilia is a Polish Christmas feast? No relation to the flower. At least I don't think. They're spelled differently).
In other news, we (and by we, I mean mainly my wife) got nearly all the leaks in the hot tub gone, and we replaced the impeller - all just in time to have a hot tub as the temps reach 90 degrees F. So she is calling it a "cold tub" and I think it will feel pretty good at "room temperature".

Upcoming: a weird object needs to be found tomorrow, then we host some college friends and their kin, and then we attend a wedding of friends of our son's this weekend. We have reached that stage where peers of the boy are old enough to marry. This does not bode well for feelings of youthfulness.

2 comments:

Minerva said...

That rose is so pretty that it doesn't even look real. Have fun in the tepid tub.

Anonymous said...

I love the macro setting. I use it all the time. I never would have figured it out on my own, My daughter showed me how to use it! Nice jobs with photos. Isn't macro fun?