Tuesday, March 13, 2012

All in a Day

I was only armed with a cell phone, but took a handful of pictures today anyway.  First, on the way to work, I passed by a fire - not an ordinary fire.  A magnesium recycling facility had this one raging in a couple trailers where they store magnesium.  Remember your high school chemistry?  This stuff cannot be extinguished with water - they had to let it burn for quite a while.
 Then, an unusual day at work, hosting some people from Kyrgyzstan, who were interested in some of the things we do.  I really liked this gentleman's hat.  He wore it most of the day.  I believe it is a traditional thing that they wear over there.  He is an elected head of a subdistrict over there. 
 And if, like me, you do not know where Kyrgyzstan is, you've come to the right blog!  Here is a map: 


 Walking the dogs tonight, I was able to confirm another important sign of spring upon us: The Buzzards are Back in the Hood! 


And yet another sign:  a lawn a couple blocks away is having its annual inundation with whatever these little flowers are....
 And here is an indoor variety of flower - an orchid my wife got.


And just to toss in an obligatory dogshot, here the canines are checking out my work as I...yes...our some dog food into a container. 

3 comments:

Connie said...

We always watch for the buzzards too. We just saw them the first time over the weekend in the park near our house. I love the ground cover flowers in your picture. How pretty they are!

Gerald Neily said...

Oh yeah, proceed thru AFG, then hang a right in UZB and you're there.

Which is easy compared with reading those Google wavy words. Please get rid of them, as I did on my blog. A little spam won't hurt anyone.

George said...

You had a very interesting day -- magnesium fires and vistors from Kyrgyzstan. I really like the gentleman's hat. I'm glad Spring has made an appearance in your neck of the woods.