Wednesday, December 8, 2010

pictures don't do it justice


Had to make a road trip to a town along the Ohio River today. Picked up a co-worker around Akron and took a succession of back roads I have never seen in my life. It is amazing how much there is to the Buckeye State. It is also interesting to be in an area with towns named Lisbon, Calcutta...

I recommend the Route 7 trip along the Ohio River valley. The panorama presented is an odd mix of natural topographic beauty and icons of an industrial age that has largely passed. One particularly fascinating icon for me was the W.H. Sammis power plant. Its smokestack, at 305 meters, is one of the tallest in the world. Plus, Route 7 tunnels right under the plant's baghouse, the part of the plant that filters out much of the noxious stuff. Barges with coal on the adjacent river were offloading as we drove by, but I could only safely keep the camera phone trained on the plant directly ahead of me...
That stack on the left is MASSIVE!


Perhaps next trip I will try to capture some of the more pristine natural beauty in between the electric plants and abandoned mills...

3 comments:

George said...

I don't think I've been along Route 7 -- I would like to travel it some day. Your pictures may not do that smokestack justice, but I appreciate your effort. Actually, I thought your pictures were quite good.

Minerva said...

That's one big old stinky smoke stack! Must have really been impressive when you were up close and personal, huh? Interesting pictures.

Connie said...

Oh my gosh! That smokestack is huge! Sounds like you had an interesting trip. You're right, there is a lot to Ohio that you never see along all those back roads. We miss out when we travel on the major highways all the time and see the same things over and over again. Have a nice weekend, Ben. :-)