Sunday, May 16, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Monday: A Challenging letter

This week we come to the letter Q, which always puts us in a quandary until we either quit or quote some quack.

Here is the run-down:
Q stands for Quiche, which is some sort of upscale omelet, and which was dissed in the past as way too effete for any manly man to claim as real food. I would not know. I really have not eaten much quiche in my time. I have had more omelets, and way more eggs in things like huevos rancheros, which do not come near beginning with a Q, and thus which are irrelevant to this discussion.


Whilst reviewing things latino, however, there is the matter of the Quesadilla. I am a reasonably supportive fan of this dish, which is you basic tortilla with cheese, and then with any combo of other items added. My son was in a band for three or so years of high school, and the first song he ever wrote (that I am pretty sure the band refused, for the most part, to play along with him) was entitled "Quesadilla". It was a cute, light, humorous little ditty, and really, the only original song I recall him ever performing where a large portion of the audience was singing along.

Here are the words from the chorus of this wonderful song:

"Cheese, cheese, cheese ... on a tortilla
Ques, Ques, Ques, Quesdadilla!"

We are so proud.
Moving along, we can skip "Quahog" because I had no clue what it was. It came up during my research. A clam, they tell me. Sorry, teeming millions of quahog aficionados.

As far as I am concerned, we are left with two great American institutions that, truth be told, I do not ingest all that often. The first is Quaker Oats oatmeal. Sometimes, especially in winter, the time is just right for the stuff. As covered previously. Under O.
The second is the venerable McDonalds Quarter Pounder. It is, really, a pretty good hamburger, as these fast food things go, and the product has been around for decades. It seems to run second to the Big Mac, which appears to get more attention, and has had more advertising jingles, but it is a pretty good burger, all told, almost on par with, say, a Whopper.
So that's all I've got for Q Week. Perhaps not so big on Quality, but no too shabby on Quantity.

10 comments:

Connie said...

Hi Ben! Q was a tough one! You have all the bases covered, I think. Your son's song lyrics made me smile. Quahog is a new one on me too. HA! Hope you have a nice Monday! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Ben, Q was a tough one this week! Your son's lyrics got a snicker out of my husband! Hope you have a great week.

Sherrie said...

Hi Ben,
Love the song, really cute. Quiche is good and Quaker Oats are awesome, especially on a cold winters day. Have a great day!

Sherrie
A View of My Life
http://splummer-aviewofmylife.blogspot.com/2010/05/monday-memes.html

Cliff said...

But nobody has even sung "It takes two hands to handle a quarterpounder."

Very small, when you take into consideration Hardee's Monster Thickburger. but if you eat too much of either, you will need to only eat Quaker Oats after awhile.

Jen said...

You quack me up!
Happy Monday Ben

Minerva said...

Quahog sounds like a character in Moby Dick.
Ever since I saw Napoleon Dynamite I have a hard time pronouncing it right.
Good post- lots of options there, brother.

Loui♥ said...

Hi Ben..
my first thought was Quahog..because I lived in Newport Rhode Island for 3 long years..
and they eat a LOT of shellfish there..
the quahog is bigger and tougher so it is used in stews..
it's the small cherry stones which are fried..
personally, I never cared for either!
I do enjoy quiche..
it was a quick easy meal for ladies luncheons..
I don't do Mickey D's..
quarter pounders just don't agree with me..
at all!
but ..a nice post!!
hugs..Loui♥

Minerva said...

What I meant was, I have a hard time pronouncing QUESADILLA right.

Ben said...

I think I have a hard time pronouncing "quahog" right. On the bright side, I have never HAD to pronounce it.

Cassie said...

I'm still chuckling at your "we're so proud" comment about the Quesadilla song. Now I wish you had that on a video for us to hear!
Have a good week Ben...we're still messing with the insurance about our Subaru. Ugh!