Friday, August 7, 2009

Weird Objects in the Water

Continuing the "weird object Friday" tradition, our son and I toured the Ripley's Aquarium while in Gatlinburg last week. It is a great aquarium; it rivals the one in Baltimore. The jewel in its crown is the series of glass tunnels with a conveyor belt-like contraption under the huge tank full of sharks and other fish and a tortoise or two. You get the feeling you are in there "swimmin' with de fishes". Anyhow, here is a review of some of the denizens of the deep and other fishy friends that are weird enough for this Friday's installment.
People were amazed at how "patriotic" this guy looked. stars and stripes all over the thing.
Hangin' with the school.
Pretty and all, but probably really poisonous.
This guy's cousins were the bane of my existence growing up. Lots of jellyfish in the water meant no swimming at grandma's.
"There's gotta be some way outta here.."
I have no idea what the deal is with these things.
I always thought these guys looked like something out of "Yellow Submarine".
Here's the thing: If you're in the water and you come upon these things,
DON'T STEP ON THEM!
I should have taken notes. I have no idea. I believe it is bad to humans. Speaking of whom...
The trained eye should be able to spot a human in this picture.
Finally, this guy cracked us up. Looks like a shark fitted with a hedge trimmer. His thing was hanging out, just lying on the top of the glass tunnel, giving us all a somewhat uneasy feeling as we passed by under him.

Anyhow, the aquarium is highly recommended.

4 comments:

Minerva said...

Love the pictures. I feel like saluting that first one!

I love cuttlefish. What a great thing to see one up close and personal.

Dawn said...

friends of ours also visited the aquarium there this summer! i love your photos... the patriotic fish is my favorite :)

Connie said...

Great photos, Ben! We went to an aquarium similar to this in South Carolina. The conveyor belt through really was an amazing way to see the underwater creatures up close and personal. Sharks swimming over our heads and right next to us gave me an eerie feeling! Happy Monday to you. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE aquariums! Wish I had been there! The GIANT crab totally freaks me out though!!!

Emily